Work with Qualified Adoption Professionals
Work only with authorized agencies and attorneys with expertise in the specific type of adoption you wish to pursue. The Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA) website https://adoptionart.org/ is a good starting point.
What To Do
Become “Adoption Ready”
- New York – If you intend to pursue private placement adoption, you will have to be certified as a qualified adoptive parent by a Family or Surrogate’s Court. New Yorkers wishing to pursue and agency adoption may only work with a New York authorized adoption agency. The list of authorized agencies may be found here: https://ocfs.ny.gov/adopt/agcymenu.asp
- New Jersey– You must become “home study approved” by an agency licensed to provide adoption services by the New Jersey Department of Children and Families. The list of authorized agencies may be found here: https://www.nj.gov/dcf/documents/divisions/licensing/AdoptionAgency.pdf
Learn About The Adoption Tax Credit
THIS IS A WONDERFUL BENEFIT! You may be eligible for an adoption tax credit to reimburse you for money spent on qualifying expenses (up to $14,660 per child in 2021). Qualifying expenses include reasonable and necessary adoption fees, court costs, attorney fees and traveling expenses. Here’s the link to the IRS website which provides additional important details about the tax credit: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc607
You never know how you may learn of a child to be adopted. The more people who know that you plan to adopt, the better.
Ask questions. Do research. Read about adoption in books, magazines and on trustworthy websites. Reputable adoption support groups, such as the Adoptive Parents Committee, https://www.adoptiveparents.org/ can assist you to determine the path to adoption that best suits your needs.
What to avoid
- Payments to facilitators are illegal in both New York and New Jersey.Facilitators are unlicensed agencies or individuals who charge a fee to match you with birth parents.
- THE TRUTH IS…
- Adoption does NOT have to be expensive.
- Adoption does NOT have to take years.
- Healthy newborns CAN be adopted in the U.S.
- Adoption is possible for ALL types of families.